Thursday, August 14, 2008

Quadrule Indians, Harlan County Kentucky


Image is from website: Nature Preserves KY

Quadrule Indians in Harlan County Kentucky

When I was a little girl, my grandmother used to tell us the story about our
Indian heritage, Indian was the word she used. She told us that our heritage came from the Quadrule Indians who lived on Wallins Creek in Harlan County Kentucky. She said the Cherokees were in Harlan too, but Quadrules were NOT Cherokee Indians, that they were more advanced, and friendly, and that they made beautiful pottery. Grandma said they were there when the first white man came, and they had always been there. She said the women were very beautiful, and that they married in with the white settlers. I used to love hearing grandma tell this story, and she told it from the time I was little, until she passed away when I was 27 years old. In all these years, as soon as I could read, I have searched for the word Quadrule, and have never found it among any Native American tribes. I've never found it to be a clan of any tribe. This is a wonderful story in my family, and I mostly just considered it that--- a grandma story and we loved hearing it as children. One day I found an unpublished manuscript on Harlan County Kentucky, and contained in this manuscript was a story of the Quadrule Indians. Needless to say, I started my search to find more written words on these Indians whom I have loved since I was a child.


Cont. here:

http://historical-melungeon.blogspot.com/2008/08/quadrule-indians-harlan-county-ky.html

1 comment:

Monica said...

Thanks for writing this post. I am just getting into researching about my ancestors. My Great Grandmother died 2 years ago at the age of 102. She always told us that we were of Indian decent. I hope to find out more about my heritage.
I am a newbie at researching genealogy. There is so much to read and research. It is hard to know where to start.

But thanks again for this post. It is very interesting to me.

***Monica Nantz