Tuesday, January 26, 2010

John Bias, Amherst, to natural son Obadiah Knuckles

From Nansemond to Monacan
The Legacy of the Pochick-Nansemond among the
Bear Mountain Monacan
JAY HANSFORD C. VEST

Know all men by these presents that I John Bias of the County of
Amherst for and in consideration of the love and affection I bear to
my natural son Obadiah Knuckles as well as for consideration of one
dollar to me in hand paid before the ensealing . . . delivery of these
presents and more particularly for the continued kindness of the
said Obadiah Knuckles to me during a long affection and under the
belief of the continuance of the ... during my life here given and
granted and by these presents do give and grant unto the... Obadiah
Knuckles his heirs and assign forever the tract of land on which I
now live. Supposed to contain one hundred acres and adjoins the
lands of Richard S. Ellis, Talbert Noel and others. To have and to
hold the said tract of land unto him the said Obadiah Knuckles and
his heirs forever after my death and the said John Bias for himself
his Exers. and admrs. will warrant and defend the lands aforesaid
against the claim of all every person whomsoever witness my hand
and seal the 31st day of August 1835.
John x Byas


© History Chasers

Click here to view all recent Historical Melungeons Blog posts

Bookmark and Share

No comments: